Audi 200 20v Quattro '89 (Tornado Red)

feel free to post your questions or conversations in english.

Moderatoren: Moderatoren, globale Moderatoren

Audi 200 20v Quattro '89 (Tornado Red)

Beitragvon Stonehouse » 05.06.2013, 17:38

Greetings from Estonia and Estonian Audi Club! http://www.audiclub.ee

I'm new here and I have a tiny hope to find out something from the car I bought 4 years ago. It was brought to Estonia from Germany. Previous history unknown.
Basically your usual 200 20v:
Engine 3B completely stock
4wd diff lock works
Gearbox, still works, but I think needs a couple of syncros changed sometime soon.

A few extras that can be brought out: 4x heated seats (the rear is not connected), cruise control leather seats (black).

Bild

Drove it a couple of years without any problems after fixing a big boost leak. One day the UFO-s were worn that bad I decided to fit something else.
A8 '96 (HP2) were mounted on a stock 200 20v strut. Fits perfectly. A little mods had to made, but nothing major. Disks 314mm with A8 calipers and pads. All new brake hoses rear and front.
Bild
With the new and bigger disks 15" rims did not fit to front and I bought some 16" Ronals. Later they became a winter set.
The rear wishbone got some CNC machined polyurethane bushings since the original parts were quite expensive. Bushings were mad by the same guy that did my brakes. Sadly I did not find a picture from the polyurethane. I have it in a video gallery though. Link at the end of the post.
So in the winter the car looked like this. A pic from a driving school (a couple of guys from the club had been to Audi Driving Experience and decided to share the knowledge). And quess what - this big car CAN TURN! :D No more understeer. A bit of steering and weight transfer with a right amount of throtle does the trick. Copyright to Tom Riismaa (tom.riismaa.eu).
Bild

Over the years I came across some pretty rear wheels that I thought I'd never find - BBS RS 236-s (ET 30 17"x8.5"). :D
Bild
Polished the car and gave it a proper wax.

I like these cars so much that I gathered some together :) We met in the center of Estonia last year in May. It was originally about V8-s and to get as much as possible in one place, but sadly some of them did not make it and we ended up with 3 D11 V8-s. Fortunately there were a lot of C3-s, 100-s and 200-s and a couple of sweet B2-s. Gotta love them "squared" old cars. :)
Bild
Bild
Quess what is being thrown on the picture? :D The winner took it home with a result of 22 meters. :P Ofcourse a UFO brake disk.
Bild
If you can't fight the rust join it. :) Thes little fellows were on for a summer eating rust as fast as possible. :)

So everything was great, but one night on the highway on a completely empty road (no cars coming towards me) a BM(f**king)W hit me from behind. Must of been doing 140kph cause it was coming up fast. I did 90 (as allowed) and even held to the right side of the road. As I was expecting it to go around and looked to the left mirror when I saw lights flashing behind me and then BANG! I was heading down the ditch. Luckily the ditch was not steep and I did not roll over.
These idiots decided to drive away and I had to find the car because otherwise I would not have had the chance to argue with insurance. The Police was not useful.
So I found the owner and the guys and where they had been that night etc. Handed the info over to the Police who only had to confirm that. I think a couple of dudes went to prison (at least I hope) no one told me If I was right or wrong you know - maybe I'll do something to them. :P
Bild
Stopped just 5m before the tree.
Bild
Anyways I managed to get the insurance company to restore it but had to pay extra to get it painted all over. :evil:
Bild
Bild
And it turned out like this. They did not the best job, but better than before. :D
Bild
Copyright belongs to http://www.petrolheads.ee
I fired the "(rust)worms". Maybe we'll see someday again. :D
This year I finally got some lowering to keep the homeless people away from the front wheel arches. :P
Bild
Bild

This past winter was cool also. I found a great hill in an old colemine. 12m rise to a 100m and the Idea was to dragrace with official timing system. Yes, uphill! :)
Bild
Bild
Since this was the first time anyone had EVER done this in Estonia (there has been a hill climb, but the cars started randomly and the objective was just to get as far up as possible) then none had no idea how should the track bottom be made.
We left too much snow on one lane so we had to lose that one and kept on going with one lane. Now we know and we will definately repeat that event next year. ;)
Somewhere down the hill.
Bild
"And across the line!" If you look under the car near the wheels you can get the idea that 20cm of snow does not make the hill climb easy. :D
Bild
Over the top, brake hard and turn right to the off track lane to get down from the hill.
Bild
Wearing the face like this! :D
Bild
If you are interested then you can follow this blogpost by petroheads.ee to wiew some other pictures. http://petrolheads.ee/2013/03/audiclub- ... drag-2013/ At the end there is a video also to show the feeling and a bit of races. :)
Or just click on the link here :) ---> http://vimeo.com/62060718#at=0

In May 2013 I checked the oilpressure manually, because the gauge in the instrument cluster don't work properly. Gives a 1 bar false reading.
Everything is ok with the engine exept I'll collect some money to do a full engine restore. Just in case. But in the fall I think. Not sooner.

And can anybody confirm the fact that Tornado Red 200 20v-s were only 22 released from the factory? :) Google gives different answers. :P
A pic from the last years summer drag where I almost got 3rd place in claas "Bracket".
Bild

See ya soon.
Stonehouse
Parkwächter
Parkwächter

Fuhrpark: Audi 200 20v Quattro '89

Re: Audi 200 20v Quattro '89 (Tornado Red)

Beitragvon DerSportkombiDavid » 05.06.2013, 19:01

Moin,

welcome at our forum´s, that was a real good entering of you! Now at least we know your whole story :D .

Keep your nice car rolling!

greets David
MfG David

Augen auf und durch!
DerSportkombiDavid
Entwickler

Fuhrpark: Audi 100 Avant Komfort 2,3 E, Cayenne-Perleffekt ´90
Audi 100 Avant Sport 2,3 E, Titangrau-metallic ´90
Honda Gorilla Nachbau 50 ccm entdrosselt, Schwarz 2014

Beitragvon 200-20V » 05.06.2013, 19:35

Willkommen hier!
Schöne Bilder :!:

Gruß Axel.
200-20V
Abteilungsleiter

Beitragvon Stonehouse » 06.06.2013, 09:32

DerSportkombiDavid hat geschrieben:Moin,

welcome at our forum´s, that was a real good entering of you! Now at least we know your whole story :D .

Keep your nice car rolling!

greets David

Well, I had to start somewhere and tried to put 4 years as short as possible. :P
200-20V hat geschrieben:Willkommen hier!
Schöne Bilder :!:

Gruß Axel.

Danke, mein Deutch ist nicht gut so ich will alles im English sagen. :)
Stonehouse
Parkwächter
Parkwächter

Beitragvon pechons » 07.06.2013, 21:14

man, really enjoyed your topic! and love the car, especially after paintwork done! just needs a litlle bit drop down on summer , dont you think? :) and, hello from Latvia :}
pechons
Crashtest-Dummy
Crashtest-Dummy

Fuhrpark: audi 200 avant 2.5 TDI quattro

Beitragvon Stonehouse » 09.06.2013, 01:08

pechons hat geschrieben:man, really enjoyed your topic! and love the car, especially after paintwork done! just needs a litlle bit drop down on summer , dont you think? :) and, hello from Latvia :}

Hi, I have 35/40mm lowering. I know it is not perfect, but right now it is better than it was before. And ofcourse there are the roads in Estonia. Especially in the capital. Bad, bad condition.

Greetings to Latvia too.
Stonehouse
Parkwächter
Parkwächter

Beitragvon little_e » 23.06.2013, 05:51

<3 Tornado Rot <3
Dag Bøsterud

'90 Audi 100 TQ Sport Exklusiv
'05 Saab 9-5 2,0t Vector Sport
little_e
Crashtest-Dummy
Crashtest-Dummy

Beitragvon Ignas.quattro » 23.06.2013, 15:18

Hello and welcome my Baltic states friend :D

Very nice car you have there!!

Great idea with the Worms on a rusty fender , I have some rust on drivers front fender as well , maybe I should do the same :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ignas.quattro
Entwickler

Beitragvon Stonehouse » 18.08.2013, 20:49

Ignas.quattro hat geschrieben:Hello and welcome my Baltic states friend :D

Very nice car you have there!!

Great idea with the Worms on a rusty fender , I have some rust on drivers front fender as well , maybe I should do the same :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hello, hello. Greetings to you too. I've read about your "sigar" from different forums quite many times. Superb job. ;)

Recently I renewed the rear brakes. Lukily everything is simple in the rear, since the D2 Audi A8 has the same ventilated brakes. So new discs, pads and rubber sealants. Ofcourse I changed the oil while I was at it. I'm having some problems with the turbo pressure. ECU goes to safe mode after one WOT acceleration. It does not matter which gear I'm in, I get to 1.6 bar only once. That is when I go slow and easy e.g the first 3 or 4 gears. I don't think it is about N75, cause it controls some pressure. I have done boost leak tests and only the cooler seems to be shhhhing a tiny bit. Wastegate will be the next one to check.

Next week I'm going to be a commentator on a cool event in Estonia. Iganas you should come! ;) It is One Mile Challenge top speed competition. ;)
And I'm doing a bit of promotion in my part of the town. :)

Bild

Check it out - www.onemile.ee :)
Stonehouse
Parkwächter
Parkwächter

Beitragvon Ignas.quattro » 19.08.2013, 19:20

Hehe , well, thank you :) As much as I would love to , I can't come...
Ignas.quattro
Entwickler

Beitragvon Stonehouse » 20.08.2013, 11:05

The pressure problem is clear I think. I managed to get a person to read faulcodes and it showed one of the knock sensors (Bank 1). So that should be the one on the front end of the engine? :)
Anyway. I'm currently searching alternatives for it before I'll buy the original.
Stonehouse
Parkwächter
Parkwächter

Beitragvon Stonehouse » 28.09.2013, 12:56

So. A long time no see.

I bought a new Bosch Knock sensor for bank 1, but I only gained 0.1 Bar of boost. So problems continue. I contacted with Paul today and well see, if he can help me with both sensors. If one shows a faultcode, then I guess the otherone should be replaced too.

And if anyone from the Baltic states (actually it does not matter where you are) has a cooler for 200 20v Quattro, please pm me the price. Mine seems to be leaking a bit. Also I'm going to need a new intake->cooler hose. Is getting cracky and will fail soon.

TIll then, bye.
Stonehouse
Parkwächter
Parkwächter

Beitragvon Stonehouse » 03.10.2013, 10:11

One crappy quality video from couple years ago ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny1XJekVd_U

This means I can't wait for winter any longer :) .
Stonehouse
Parkwächter
Parkwächter

Zurück zu Audi 100/200 forum (engl.)